How can we make Xodo even better?

Copy selected text into Highlight, Cross-out, and Underline comment pop-ups.

For academics who use your wonderful app, this is an immensely useful option as almost all of the software tools that extract annotations from PDF require this.

Please visit this link: http://www.docear.org/support/user-manual/#pdf_editors which explains what exactly this feature is. I believe it will only take you a few tweaks in your code to enable it in your application.

Thanks,

172 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ali Madooei shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminXodo (Support, Xodo) responded  · 

Done! You can activate this feature in Settings > Annotating > Copy Annotated Text to Note. Happy highlighting :)

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kurt Kreuger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had never heard of Docear before. Just looked it up. Wow. Thanks. And if Xodo could work with Docear, I would upgrade to a paid version of Xodo for sure! I could sync Xodo with a Dropbox or Google Drive folder and have Docear running on the lappy.

Also, Xodo is by far the best Android PDFer I have used. I do a fair amount of reading of literature on a large Android tablet. Great app. Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to work in Android (Linux) Landscape Mode to See the extremely small font your cool app uses as I'm using system settings to augment my vision which is not accepted within the app itself. Works fine on hundreds of other Apps on my device, but this one.

I use Large font, so I can see the character and I have overrides to force zoom to 135 percent. But I still have real problems seeing and get big time head aches.

Support just suggested vertical viewing which allows continuous scrolling with lock but when I try any of these edits or even a simple text capture or copy all I see is this huge big dark Blue Ribbon covering almost all the screen, why I have no idea, I can't even see where the capture begins, much less the Select to Boarders. It takes for ever. If you also use your phone, try this and see how hard it can be.

So if that Bar was more transparent and didn't show up until I'd completed select that would some.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even I was waiting for this feature to come for the last 1 year to happen.... I am not sure why such a simple file writing operation cant be added by the developer since he is listing the annotation on the app.

Anyway I am done with waiting and I have written an app for this...EXACTLY THIS... I highlight a lot using xodo docs and I want to see a summary of my highlights for a quick revision. I guess now I dont have to keep on visiting this page for this feature anymore.

I have hosted my app at https://pdfcommentextractor.wordpress.com.
        It is not free, It took me nearly 1 month to learn java and develop it. I am charging a small amount for it.

If anybody is badly in need, you can visit my site.

I have included the following features:

1. Provision to copy old highlight texts to comment pop ups retroactively..(that is you had not made the setting explained above before making the comment.).
        2. Provision to copy highlight texts to comment pop ups for highlights made from a tablet.
        3. Provision to specify delimiters in the comment generator.
        Single file processing and bulk processing
        4. MY FAVORITE: Provision to split different colour highlights to different files

• Steve Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another researcher here - please add this feature.
        It will be a huge time saver in my research and transform Xodo form a very useful tool into an amazing, how did I ever live without it, application...

• Arthur Hjorth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another academic chiming in here. This is literally the only thing that makes me not use Xodo for annotating academic readings. I would be very, very happy if you introduced this.

• Bono commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is actually very easy for Xodo developers to add this function. I notice on Xodo you can copy the text under highlights, underlines, etc made by Xodo. The only thing the developers have to do is to seamlessly copy and paste the text to comments. I don't really understand why the developer have not considered adding this function to Xodo. It should be an extremely simple task. Also offer users an option to turn on or off this feature in settings. This feature will certainly kill most of the similar PDF readers in my option.

• Zhengfan Lin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to this.

For reference managers (like Docear mentioned above and a few others) that don't have its own PDF reader, extracting text from pop-up note is way easier than extracting the highlighted text itself. The pop-up text is also editable which is useful for making more sense out of reference list. Therefore those software simply index the pop-up text. If the pop-up is empty, it won't be able to index the highlight.

Currently to get XODO to work with those reference managers you have to manually copy and paste the text. An option to automatically copy text on annotation creation would make things a bit easier.

• thebruuu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pc tools like Docear/Zotero are fully able to extract the highlighted text only if the highlight is associated with a note containing the text ...

Xodo highlights are not extracted by docear and this makes Xodo useless :/

In order to use Xodo efficiently, right now, I have to make too many actions:
        highlight text,
        copy it to clipboard,
        reselect highlighted text,
        create note and
        copy text in it ....

Suggest a new feature: Android

Feedback and Knowledge Base